Left unchecked, our pursuit of worldly treasures will lead to our ultimate demise.
- Most people pursue earthly treasures at the expense of eternity.
- Jesus wants HIS people to pursue heaven's treasures, even if doing so comes at the expense of the treasures of earth.
#1: What are the Treasures of Heaven?
- CS Lewis, Mere Christianity: "If I find in myself a desire which no experience in this world can satisfy, the most probable explanation is that I was made for another world. If none of my earthly pleasures satisfy it, that does not prove that the universe is a fraud. Probably earthly pleasures were never meant to satisfy it, but only to arouse it, to suggest the real thing."
- The "nevers" of Scripture (Hebrews 13:5, John 3:16, Romans 8:39, John 4:14, etc.)
- Every follower of Jesus will be filled with joy/satisfaction/awe in eternity (see Revelation 21:1-5).
- Scripture is also clear that the Lord rewards believers in proportion to their pursuit of His glory in their lives (Ephesians 6:8, Luke 6:38, etc.)
- John Piper: "Everyone will be full in heaven, but some containers will be larger than others."
- The "measure we use" (cf. Luke 6:38) grows our capacity to enjoy Heaven's jpy, satisfaction, awe, etc.
#2: How do we "Lay Up" Treasures in Heaven?
- We invest into eternal opportunities, even if doing so comes at the expense of earthly treasures.
- Salvation (John 3:16)
- Sanctification (Romans 8:28-29, 1 John 3, etc.)
- Questions for Reflection:
- What are the things of earth with which God has entrusted me?
- How does my treatment of these earthly treasures reveal the state of my heart? (Read Matthew 6:21)
- What would it look like to take one step towards transformation - to seek the treasure of heaven, even at the expense of the treasures of earth?